ECCC 2018 Games Played


I did get to play a lot of games at the convention. Many of them are replays, but this gives information on how the games hold up.

Retro Arcade

I helped run a retro arcade, so there were games to play and test out. Even if I played them before, these were superior versions.

Street Fighter II

This was a really good version of the game. The graphics we're crisp, the design was original, and there were autographs around it. We set this game up near the entrance as a way to entice people in. They saw the game and wanted to play more after entering. We had people coming in during setup just to enjoy it.

Magic Sword

This one had some graphical issues for the display. The tiles weren't displaying correctly. Otherwise a fun run and slice game. It has side characters to help you move forward, which can be upgraded.

It's just the right amount of accessible style. It always feels like you have the skills, if you just put in one more quarter. There is a hardness, and you can do better with skills and knowledge of the levels. This still demands some quarters though.

Doctor Who

I've talked about this game before. It is a personal favorite where there are easy to define objectives and goals. The back center target changes as you play to alter the goals as needed, and you play as the many doctors attacking the Daleks.

This was by far a superior version though. It was well balanced -with pinball tables this is a literal- and felt responsive. The owner had put in the new LED display to have an even better graphical enjoyment. Even people with the game said it was more enjoyable.

Police Squad

A simple game with a lot of character. The targets are easy, and I have no idea if there is multiball. We didn't have enough balls in it to set that up. But the artwork is where it's at. All of the characters are animals, so you see the on the board or back glass doing things. It's the art that makes the game fun.

Lord of the Rings

I just finished watching the extended edition trilogy, so I was really into the movies when I played. There was a balrog, the eye of sauron and others to aim for. These were difficult shots and more often than not I missed my opportunities. The game played well, and I loved how it changed quickly depending on what you did.

Space Invaders

The art all around this game felt more like a Geiger painting than a reference to an arcade game. The board is simple, especially for the 1980 release date. There are no ramps, and mostly simple targets that are difficult to get to. Once there you rack up points, but you have to aim carefully to do it. It's a great example of taking a game idea and using it for a different set up. Sadly there aren't a lot of games like this out there, so it is difficult to maintain.

Digital Level

This and the next one aren't games, but they were so useful they deserve a mention. If you keep machines maintained, these will be very useful.

The digital level has all the same things as an ordinary level. The air pockets tell you if the table is where it needs to be. Then you look at the LCD screen and it tells you the exact angle the board is at. A pinball table has a recommended angle, and that is difficult to get to. This speeds the process along quickly. We got an exact 7 degree angle with ease on one board.

Now that I know it exists, I want a Bluetooth version with both the x and y angles given. Oh that would be glorious. It may be a project over the summer. I found one on Amazon for $30. A good deal if you ask me.

The Pinball Wrench

Marcos Specialties sells them on their website. When setting up a pinball table, the big problem is getting the legs on. Most people keep wrenches with various sizes nearby. The reality is, the leg bolts are only two sizes, so you don't need all the extras around. This wrench has the two sizes on either side. It’s as simple and wonderful as it looks. I'm adding it to my collection.

Board Games

I played some board games on the ferry to or from Seattle. They were a fun distraction and helped people who were stressed out.

Filmcow Card Game

If you loved the magical candy mountain, and how the liopleurodon knows where it is this card game is for you. Every card is based on a character or a moment from the filmcow universe. I ended up being called Reginald because I got that card, and no one else knew my name.

As a card game unto itself, I really enjoyed it. I didn't get most of the jokes, but I did enjoy all the strategies. Every card could change the game or goals completely. You are trying for the most points and for all the different shapes. When one player has all the shapes, everyone counts up their point total. I pulled some tricks, and nearly won the game. In the end, it was a three way tie, which I was told was common. It takes a lot to really beat the game.

Card Dungeons

I don't know the real name of this one. It was another card game, but it was based on dungeons and dragons type games. The art was enjoyable, and the characters recognizable.

At the start of the game, each player pulls out a random set of cards. These are stat bonuses and other things to help fight off monsters. Then the players pull out random cards from the enemy deck. There are levels of monsters, but with the stats you can build up pretty well. If a player doesn't want the enemy in the dungeon, they can place it near themselves to fight on their own, but a stat bonus from the group pile must be added to it.

When all the cards are done, the last player chooses whether or not to attack the dungeon or the monsters next to him. This can mean stats and other bonuses for the player, or they die and have to start over again. They continue playing rounds until they get bored, or the ferry arrived.

This was a great game to play and have a conversation with folks. It helped some very stressed out people have a fun moment as well.

Retro Console

My buddy Adam has me sleep next to a TV and a bunch of old school games. I played a couple of them.

Tetris Attack

This is a connect the shapes type game. Slowly boxes move up, and if they touch the top, you lose. The player switches things around to get as many combos as possible. Any open space can be filled up by boxes near the space. This adds to the strategy. It's a fun game, and now I want it, but I am honestly terrible at it.

Trinitron

The TV is considered one of the best for NES through GameCube era graphics. The blacks are deep, and the colors shine. It doesn't add to the gameplay, but it does make things feel a bit better.

Super Nintendo Composite

This is another add on that doesn't change gameplay, but does make things nicer. The Trinitron has composite connections, so a player can try out 480i graphics if they buy the needed cables for their console. Apparently the cables only work for a specific console, so you won't get anything if you connected the SNES to the GameCube.

Indie Games

There was an indie game booth on the floor I worked on. Game makers would bring their games to play for a day and let people try them out. Every time I went in, it was a different set up.

Robo v Dino

This game can be played using an NES controller, but the graphics are way better. You play a robot who has to collect dinosaurs roaming the level. It can be multiplayer or single player. The dinosaurs need to have things thrown at them for so they will be knocked out. So you search for throwable stuff, and then take on the dinosaurs. It was a fun game, and should be played for a quick breather.


Headliners

A Polish game designer made a game about how the media controls the narrative. You are a reporter talking to people and trying to choose out what should go to the newspaper. Hiding information, or making a panic are a big worry. There is a lot of style to the game, and I felt like I needed more time to really play it.

I enjoyed it, but don't think I gave it much of a chance based on how much time I got. So look it up, the price is worth a try at least.

Modern Arcade

As is a tradition for me, when I stay in Bremerton, I stop by Maple Valley to see Round1 arcade. It's my favorite modern arcade and has some really fun stuff to try. Once again, there are some replays here, but it shows if a game ages well.

Bone Eater

A modern silent scope is a must play for me. I had seen videos of these games, and of course played the old SS when I had the chance. It's a sniper game where you look through the scope to see where the enemy is. There are secret enemies and things to shoot, and even a button for an even closer look.

You play a character racing through a city to shoot down terrorists. When a place is cleared, you are whisked over to another spot, and you feel wind blowing into your face. There is a story to follow and some great animations.

In all honesty, the story got in the way. I wanted to shoot, but had to wait for people to talk about their feelings as we waited the next job. This was boring to me, and as much as I enjoyed the gameplay I was relieved when I died. If there was a way to skip the story and just play the game, I am all for it.

Piano Game

This is exactly what it looks like. A Guitar Hero style game where notes fall down and you have to hit the right key to continue. So many screw ups and you're out. Some keys have a ticket symbol meaning you gain tickets if you do it right. I enjoyed it, and am amazed at how fun some of these ticket games are.


Magicians Dead

One of my favorite modern arcade game designers made a Harry Potter wizards duel game. It has you running at multiple enemies, and trying to take them down using protective and attack spells.

I couldn’t get my spells to really work except two, and didn't know how to shield myself. The innovation is really cool, but it creates a steep learning curve to really enjoy the game.

There are also moments where you just sit there, waiting for the next level to load. This caused some extra frustration. I like the game, but can't say it's a favorite.

Wangan Midnight Club

This game does story and style right. I really did feel like I was driving down the Wangan highway, while challenging other drivers. The stick system made sense, and I could upgrade my car based on how well I did.

There are conversation bubbles shown as I drive through. It never got in the way and really added to the feel. I've played earlier games, and this one really does feel like a step up.

Gunslinger Stratos

Made by the same people as Magicians Dead, this is a death match dual gun super attack bit of awesomeness. I have played this game multiple times, and every time I feel like I have improved and know what I am doing more and more. This time I chose a faster and more nimble character. I was jumping over buildings and attacking monsters with ease. The camera control was finally understood, and I pulled off some great shots.

Truly one of my favorites and I want to play it even more now.

Vive

I played this at the GameStop I stopped by. It is a move around set up, so I have a square area to enjoy, and move around in. If you get too close to a wall, a grid appears showing your problem.

I chose out what I hoped would be fun or entertaining games. For the most part I was bored. There was some art and some comedy, but I didn't feel immersed.

The one game I enjoyed was a shooter where I could literally Dodge bullets coming at me. That was by far the most enjoyable set up. I could aim at my enemies with two guns and thus try multi shots and other cool things.

VR suffers because most of the designers don't know what to do with it. They have limitations, and end up blasting right onto them. It's annoying, and showed up a lot in these games. The Vive is great, as are the controls, I just with there were games with that.

Comments

Popular Posts