Day 2 ECCC

I woke up an hour late. It was an awkward moment, but I decided to head out without a shower. My friends posted pictures of stinky things to me when they found out.

At the ferry, I used my new favorite parking place to find a great shot of Bremerton. Then rushed to catch the ferry. It was still unloading.


The ferry trip was an easy breakfast, and a lot of writing/recording. I had to wait for the departure call before I recorded. The day before I hadn't, and it showed up in the middle of my lecture. People were already in costume.


The walk to the convention was fairly easy. Once I knew the area, It wasn't hard to find where I needed to go.

At the arcade, I turned on the vids, but not the pins because I didn't know which one was working. It was a pretty boring wait after that. Byron showed up and sat down. He turned on the pins, and then read up on stuff being shown that day. We only had 3 working pins at the start of the day. Some kids came in to play as we waited to open up.


The biggest thing I found out was my friend Budi’s lecture on VR display was after I had left. I wanted to see it and hang out, but couldn't.

Luckily I was in a nice breezy spot. No one smelled me. I stood outside the door and told people to go in. I told folks it was a magical time machine that would transport them back to the 80’s.


I continued doing this for a couple hours, then went on break. At lunch I met a girl who is from Seattle, not the place she was born, or where her parents are from. This is a classic three generations sign. She has the culture all the time and is trying to be as Seattle as she can. Her kids will want to know more about the culture, and she will wonder why.

I ate lunch and paid for an extra GB of memory for my cellular service. Apparently I had exceeded my amount, even though it was only at 487 MB. Oh, hey, 487 like IBM. Nice.

While walking back I spotted some cosplayers. I was told society should just let them dress like this all the time. I don't think they would for the most part. This event is for the special recognition of their fandom.


One lady had goosebumps as she was crossing the street. I got her picture, and a shot of the goosebumps as well. The dedication to their fandom is amazing.

Back at the arcade I met back up with Cinderella. I didn't recognize her because she was now a Hogwarts student. She told me twice before I figured it out. Her mom went from Cruella de Ville to Professor McGonagall.

My favorite costume was mojo JoJo. The guy in the suit was laughing and telling jokes with everyone. He was a character without the costume.

There was tons of cosplay, so I spent a lot of time taking pictures. I also discovered people were there to show off their physique.


Eventually Lefty showed up, and then another fixit guy. Soon the machines were in working order. It was fast, but just needed the right knowledge and equipment to do it.

Around 6 I went to explore the artist alley, and exhibitors floor. With my exhibitor badge I could walk around without being bothered. I met with an artist and found out she charges $120 for each page of sequential art.

I explored a bit, but it was smaller for some reason. When I first went to a comic Con it was huge and mind blowing. Now I recognize the spots and know what I'm doing. The Nintendo booth was a surprise.


The indie game area had a game about throwing dinosaurs in the trash. The guys I played with discussed PIG squad and how the giant pig was made. When I post the notes from PRGE, you will see it.

I met up with an online friend. I freaked out his wife, because I told her where he was, but she didn't know me. We took awkward selfies.


After exploring, I returned my badge and walked to the ferry. It was packed inside of the dock, and people were dressed up all around me.

After a while I sat down with one of them. He was dressed as a lawyer from Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney. One of the opposing guys no less. He chose out the costume because he was pre law before dropping out of college. He thought 6th grade math was all we needed in the world. Everything else was just showing off. He lived an hour away from Shelton, and had a few friends on the internet. The entire trip was solitary for him. He wanted it this way. His greatest ambition was to be a musician, and he was learning various musical instruments to do this.

I told him the three chord bass joke. All a major band needs is the bassist to play 3 chords. I can play those three chords.

The conversation changed as a passenger nearby brought up Japan. I was talking about festivals. He was a radiologist, and had lived in Japan.

My windows were fogged up when I left the parking garage. I had to go slowly because I couldn't get the to clear at first. This changed, but it scared me how much I couldn't see. My windows were down as an extra defense.

When I got back to Adams he was playing SNES on his new CRT. The screen was crisp, and had some nice colors. I am terrible at Tetris Attack. It was fun though. We also checked out Star Fox vs Star Fox 64. The newer one was superior in controls and graphics.


I went to bed shortly after that.

Comments

Popular Posts